Prompt: In “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid, the mother provides her daughter with numerous expectations about how a girl should behave. Reflect on a specific gender expectation within your culture that has been challenging for you to navigate. Then describe one clear example of this expectation and explain why it has been difficult for you. Keep your response concise, vivid, and focused on your personal experience.
Prompt Response: One gender expectation I have struggled with is the idea that men are supposed to be emotionally restrained and always independent. Growing up, there was often an expectation that I should just handle things myself, especially when I was struggling, rather than openly admitting that something was bothering me. I remember times when I would be genuinely upset or overwhelmed but still feel like I had to act completely fine because being emotional felt embarrassing or “unmanly.” That expectation was difficult for me because I tend to think deeply about things and care a lot about the people around me. Learning that being open about how I feel does not make me weak was something I had to figure out for myself.
Summary: I have struggled with the expectation that men should hide their emotions and handle everything on their own.
Reflection: I think that expectation can make it harder for people to actually understand you. I have learned that being honest about how I feel is not the opposite of being strong. It is part of being mature.
Comments
Post a Comment