Judith Ortize Cofer says, "The Island travels with you", what part of your culture, family, or identity do you feel "travels" with you everywhere you go?

Prompt response: The part of my identity that “travels” with me most is the mix of cultures and experiences I was raised around. My Haitian and North Indian-White Guyanese background means I grew up with different foods, stories, traditions, and perspectives all existing in the same household. Even outside of my family, that feeling of being a mixture of different worlds has stayed with me. I see it in the music I listen to, the people I connect with, and the way I try to understand cultures without assuming one is more “normal” than another. I think that constant mixing is one of the biggest parts of who I am, and it follows me wherever I go.

Summary:
My mixed cultural background travels with me through the way I experience food, music, people, and different cultures.

Reflection:
For a long time, I saw being mixed as something that made me feel like I did not completely belong anywhere. As I have gotten older, I have realized that being influenced by many different cultures does not mean I belong nowhere. It means I carry pieces of many places and experiences with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prompt: Write about something that you believed as a child.

Prompt: Troy’s complaint about the unfair job system shows his frustration with racial discrimination. How did this conversation make you think about fairness and opportunity in society today? If you were in Troy’s position, what would you do?

Prompt: Different cultures have different customs surrounding food and eating. Describe a food-related custom you grew up with or have experienced. How does this custom reflect your family's values or cultural background?