If someone tried to understand me using only my race
Prompt: If someone tried to understand you using only your race, what important things would that person miss? Describe at least three other parts of your cultural identity that help make you who you are.
If someone were to look at me and attempt to understand me purely off my race, who I am, my interests, likes and dislikes, the pillars of my character, my views on life, etc. They would most likely be entirely wrong. A lot of my effort into my appearance although its just based off my interests and the pop-culture divisions I enjoy, still differentiates me heavily and changes the way people view me. Band tees, piercings, studded jewelry, baggy distressed jeans, eyeliner, etc. It all naturally changes the way people approach me whether negative or positive. If you take all that away, leaving with just my looks and my race, the first impression would be different. Nothing is told about me especially if i don't speak, you could easily assume "well he listens to drill" or "he's most likely lower class" or another generalization. They could theoretically be statistically correct in assuming that, 45% of African Americans are below middle class. That hurts to think about, but its just the truth. If someone saw me with everything taken except my race, they could easily assume that, and begin to judge without any pretense. They would miss all that I love, the way I act, the people I surround myself with, the cultures I take from, etc.
That's not me however, I love music I listen to a plethora of genres, all mostly with an audience that's primarily white. Post-hardcore, deathcore, metalcore, EDM, IDM, breakcore, Jazz-fusion, visual kei, screamo, hardcore, beatdown, emotional hardcore, etc. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy drill or any other style of music, as to be honest I enjoy anything with even a couple notes as long as it has rhythm and it gets me moving. It could be the most non-traditional experimental song I've ever heard mashing together 30 different genres, as long as the beat is strong and the melody is tolerable, ill probably love it. I love fashion, archive clothing. I'm neurodivergent, I have dozens of hobbies ranging from CAD software to cars to aerospace engineering and on and on and on. They'd miss everything that makes me me, every fiber of my being, every person I love.
Sadly, for some people, they'll never see that. They'll only see a 17 year old mixed young man.
Comments
Post a Comment