3 goals for this school year

If I were to name 3 things I want to achieve this year it would be fairly simple. For one, looking back at my performance within the past 3 years of my HS carreer, I consistently had a very troubling pattern. I would do extremely bad the first 4-8 weeks, then just a week or less before the grading period, I would end up doing a semester's worth of work within just a couple days. It would lead to me having the issue where I absorb the content, I make quality work, and I pay attention in class, but yet, my grades reflected none of that(aside from test scores). The issue was that the entire 3 years and the rest of the past of my school career, I had struggled with an unsung masked problem: ADHD. I had no idea why I couldn't pay attention as easy as other kids. I had no idea why I couldn't submit my assignments on time. I had no idea why I couldn't sit down and work the way the other kids could. Yet, I still maintained straight A's within the gifted program all through-out elementary school and middle school just until I couldn't. Once the work was too hard to the point where I had to study and review classwork and homework instead of winging it, those skills of organization, studying, reviewing, had never been developed. I didn't need them. The work just came naturally and seemed easy. Until it didn't. February of last year, I found out why, and about my attention disorder. This June, I started 24-hour medication as prescribed from my pediatrician. It helped immediately, even in ways I didn't think it would. Suddenly dieting was easier, yet I was hungry the same amount. My decision making changed from chasing dopamine and quick gratification to chasing what builds me as a person and my health. This year if I had a main goal, it would be re-writing my projection. Turning in work. Being a straight A student. Not a single late assignment. Paying attention in class. Aside from that, it be improving my GPA, which has been tarnished with years of suffering with this condition I had no idea was even a condition. I was told it was laziness and procrastination. Yet I didn't realize that the difference in my effort and the classmates around me was equivalent. They didnt have the mental blockade I did.


I want to re-write what's expected of me

I want to improve my grade point average.

and I want to get straight A's because now I finally can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prompt: Write about something that you believed as a child.

Prompt: Troy’s complaint about the unfair job system shows his frustration with racial discrimination. How did this conversation make you think about fairness and opportunity in society today? If you were in Troy’s position, what would you do?

Prompt: Different cultures have different customs surrounding food and eating. Describe a food-related custom you grew up with or have experienced. How does this custom reflect your family's values or cultural background?